My friend’s birthday was this week and I knew I wanted to make her a cake. Like me, she has red hair, so I figured why not make a red velvet cake? Again, I apologize for only having my phone to take pictures of the cake! This recipe comes from, “The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook.” I received this cookbook from my mom for my birthday and even though the recipe is for cupcakes I used it to make a two layered, 9-inch square cake.
Red Velvet Cake
- 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter (room temperature)
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons of red food coloring
- ½ teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 cup and 2 tablespoons of all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees
- Beat the sugar and butter together on low until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg.
- In a separate bowl, mix the vanilla, cocoa, and red food coloring until they thicken.
- Add the vanilla, cocoa, and food coloring mixture to the egg mixture. Beat until everything is well incorporated.
- The add half of the buttermilk to the mixture and then add half the flour. Repeat this step.
- Once all is mixed well add the salt, vinegar, and baking soda.
- Mix well for about a minute. And your batter is done!
- Place into cup cake or cake pans and bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean!
You can either use this recipe to make cupcakes or a cake. But now, onto the best part the frosting! (PS: if you are making a cake you are going to want to double the frosting recipe!)
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 2 1/3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 6 oz of cream cheese at room temperature
- Beat the butter and sugar first until well mixed.
- Then add the cream cheese it will take a little bit for the frosting to fully combine.
Once your cake or cupcake has cooled don’t be afraid to frost generously!!! Enjoy!!