My friend’s mom brought cupcakes to one of our lacrosse games this spring. I saw a cupcake with green frosting and a chocolate cake. I assumed it was a mint chocolate chip cupcake and I was right. The cupcake was so good that I knew I needed to try to make them once I got home from boarding school. Now that it’s summer I gave these a try and they were a hit! I made chocolate cupcakes from The Hummingbird Bakery cookbook and a mint cream cheese frosting. I then garnished the cupcakes with semi sweet chocolate chips.
- ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter (room temperature)
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 egg
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
(This recipe makes 12 cupcakes)
Mint Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 8 ounces of cream cheese (room temperature)
- 2 teaspoons of peppermint extract
- 4 tablespoons of butter (room temperature)
- 3 cups powered sugar
- Green food coloring
For the Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 3250F
- Combine flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder, salt, and butter in a bowl.
- Whisk the milk, egg, and vanilla together in a separate bowl.
- Pour half of milk mixture into flour mixture and combine with a mixer on medium. Once combined, add the second half of the milk mixture and combine.
- Spoon batter into cupcake holes until the batter fills 2/3 of the cupcake pan.
- Bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until the cake is firm and a tooth pick comes out clean.
Make sure you let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting them.
For the Frosting:
- Combine cream cheese, butter, and sugar in a bowl with a mixer on medium.
- Once fully combined add the peppermint extract and food coloring until the frosting is the green color you desire.
I love these and I hope you will as well!